Where are you at with your super?

Spouse contributions

You can help your spouse save for their retirement by making contributions on their behalf or by transferring contributions from your account.

You can help your spouse save for their retirement by making contributions on their behalf or by transferring contributions from your account (contribution splitting). If you are an existing member of QIEC Super, your spouse may also be eligible to apply for spouse membership.1

You can make contributions on behalf of your spouse if your spouse is:

  • under age 65 (your spouse does not need to be working); or
  • aged between 65 and 69 years and has worked at least 40 hours in a period of 30 consecutive days in the financial year in which the contribution is made.

You can’t make spouse contributions if your spouse is aged 70 or more.

If your spouse is already a QIEC Super member, then to make a spouse contribution into your spouse’s QIEC Super account, you will need to complete a Spouse Contribution Advice Form. If your spouse is not already a member of QIEC Super, both you and your spouse will need to complete the Spousal Member sections of the Member Application Form which can be found in the QIEC Super PDS.

You may be entitled to a tax offset of up to $540 per year for any after-tax superannuation contributions made on behalf of your spouse, depending on their income.

The offset is calculated as 18% of contributions, up to a maximum contribution of $3,000. The $3,000 limit reduces by $1 for every $1 that your spouse's income2 exceeds $37,000. The rebate phases out when your spouse's income2 is $40,000 or more.

For more information about claiming the spouse contribution tax offset visit the ATO website.

Contribution splitting is when you transfer some of the concessional contributions made into your account, to your spouse’s3 super account. Only concessional contributions such as employer contributions, salary sacrifice contributions and personal contributions where a tax deduction has been claimed, can be split. Up to 85% of concessional contributions for either the current or prior financial year can be split (in most cases, only the contributions made in the previous year can be split).

To split your concessional contributions with your spouse, they must be aged under 65, or if they’re between their preservation age (the age they can access their super) and 65, they can’t be permanently retired from the workforce or have left employment after the age of 60.

For more information about contribution splitting, please read the Contributions Fact Sheet. To make a contribution split, please complete the Superannuation Contribution Splitting Form.

More information

  • Spouse Contribution Advice Form 121.04 KB PDF

  • Contributions Fact Sheet 167.74 KB PDF

  • Superannuation Contribution Splitting Form 135.71 KB PDF


1 You must be an existing member of QIEC Super who lives with your spouse on a bona fide domestic basis in a relationship as a couple for your spouse to be eligible for spouse membership. A spouse includes married, de-facto and same-sex partners.

2 Income is defined as assessable income plus reportable fringe benefits (RFB) plus reportable employer superannuation contributions (RESC). RESC is generally superannuation contributions which you have asked your employer to make as salary sacrifice (before tax) or additional employer contributions (in addition to Superannuation Guarantee or award contributions) paid on your behalf as part of a remuneration package. Check with your employer to determine if you have any RFB or RESC for the financial year.

3 A spouse is defined as a person you are legally married to, a person you are in a relationship with that is registered under certain state or territory laws (including registered same-sex relationships) or a person, of the same or of a different sex who lives with you on a genuine domestic basis in a relationship as a couple (known as a ‘de-facto’ spouse).